"one of the best ways to spend a summer night in LA.
Celebrate summer!" -- Shakespeare in L.A.
BEGINNING JUNE 30!
The 15th Anniversary Season of free Shakespeare in the Park:
A Midsummer Night's Dream & Titus Andronicus
We didn't imagine back in 2001 that our small production of The Two Gentlemen of Verona would grow into a Los Angeles summer tradition! (Seriously, we were just trying to figure out how to light a play with halogen work lights we bought at Home Depot.) But here we are 15 terrific years later. Join us this summer for 10 weeks of celebration, surprises, and (of course) Shakespeare!
A Midsummer Night's Dream begins June 30
Titus Andronicus begins July 28
The plays run in repertory through September 2
Wednesdays-Sundays at 7:00 pm at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park
Special events will be announced throughout Spring 2018. Be the first to know by signing up for our mailing list on the right of this page!
Ample free parking is available. Look for the hot pink signs directing you to the parking lots near the Merry-Go-Round. Parking lot 2 is the closest to the performance site, but be prepared for a bit of a walk up a hill.
Please note: as with anywhere in the city, don't park against curbs painted red and look out for "no parking" signs! Fire lanes are important for the safety of Griffith Park and they will be enforced!
For disabled access, please call us at 818-710-6306 for information and to make any needed arrangements.
Plan your evening
- All summer performances and special events are FREE! Donations are gratefully accepted.
- No reservations for performances are required.
- We encourage your consideration of those around you! Low seat beach chairs (legs lower than 3") are welcome behind our chair line. The lower area closest to the stage is reserved for those with picnic blankets.
- As a courtesy to those around you, we ask you to leave your four-legged friends at home.
- We welcome children at our performances! However, these are not Shakespeare performances edited or changed for children. Shakespeare wrote about the human experience, and his plays include examples of sexuality and violence, and deal with adult themes. Email us and we'll be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about particular performances. And please, keep your children with you at all times.
- There is an uphill walk from the parking areas to our performance site. If you have mobility challenges, please call us at 818-710-6306 to make arrangements.
- Don't forget your picnic! (Note: alcohol is prohibited in Los Angeles City parks.)
- Dress in layers as it gets chilly in the evening.
- We have a concessions tent with hot and cold beverages, sweets treats from The Village Bakery & Café (a local Atwater Village small business), kettle corn, light snacks and Habey’s Shakes (“The Bard of Shortbread” cookies baked in NYC especially for Independent Shakespeare Co.) Cash and credit cards accepted.
- You may find that bug spray and sunscreen are also helpful to bring with you.
- For disabled access, please call us at 818-710-6306 for information and to make arrangements.
Thank You Seats
Make a donation of $150 and as a thank you, you will receive up to 4 reserved seats at one performance of your choice!* You can roll up at 6:55pm and know that your seats are waiting for you! Donate here and then email Sabrina to make your donation and to choose your date!
*Seating is limited, let us know your preferred date as soon as you can!